An incident report form is used to document any events that may or may not have caused injury, illness or property/equipment damages at work. From fire hazards to muscle strains, all incidents need be reported.
Recording detailed information makes a huge difference to health and safety inspections and insurance claims. Plus, it helps to prevent the incident from happening again in the future.
How to write a good incident report form
Follow these four steps to ensure your incident report form is accurate and helpful to the investigation.
- Know what information to collect – a checklist can be a super helpful guide to avoid missing out on important details.
- Gather factual data – opinions, biased statements and vague information should be avoided.
- Provide as much evidence as possible – photos and illustrations will help to strengthen the validity of the report.
- Get signatures prior to completion – collect signatures from the affected people and witnesses to give legitimacy to your incident report form.
Use Trail for better incident reporting
Attaching witness statements and navigating what you can and can't record without consent means recording all this information can be a nightmare. Plus paper-based reporting is super time-consuming for the reporter.
Reporting incidents is stressful enough. Make life easier with Trail:
- Faster record-keeping. Quickly capture data from all your team with smart inputs built specifically for busy staff. Multiple choice and date fields make recording rich information as simple as possible.
- Smart forms. Ask different questions based on answers to navigate GDPR regulations and make the experience as fast as possible, e.g. ask additional questions if the incident is reportable under Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR).
- Photographic evidence. Snap a picture of witness statements and other evidence and upload straight from your device.
- Insights. Identify trends around which sites have an increased rate of incidents as well as if there are any common themes for causes.
- All-in-one-app. No more worrying about losing important documents. All your data is stored securely and can be accessed anytime, anywhere.
Incident report template
Try our easy-to-use incident report templates. Or tailor the template to your own needs.