Global concerns around food safety and hygiene are at an all-time high.
A survey by YouGov found that over half of consumers are more conscious of food safety and hygiene at food outlets since the pandemic began.
65% of respondents said they would avoid eating somewhere if they were not confident in the food safety standards of the premises.
And 51% reported that a certification by a third-party provider would help to increase their trust.
Food safety and hygiene is more important than ever, businesses need to build a robust food safety culture. And get that all important 5 rating.
Managing food safety and hygiene
The law requires all food businesses to have a documented food safety management system.
An Environmental Health Officer (EHO) from your local authority will inspect your premises to ensure you’re complying with this law. And award you accordingly with a food hygiene score.
When an inspector visits, they’ll be looking at 3 key areas:
- How food is handled
- The condition of your premises
- How you manage and document food safety.
A food safety and hygiene checklist can help ensure food quality standards are being met and complied with.
The importance of a food safety and hygiene checklist
A checklist is a simple yet powerful tool that helps teams comply with food safety law and helps businesses build a positive safety culture.
Teams can identify any potential food safety risks and take action before problems escalate.
And, with more Covid checks and precautions to manage, simplifying food safety processes is key.
Digital checklists can help teams stay on top of changing food safety and hygiene guidelines, and communicate changes quickly from head office to teams on the ground.
Food safety and hygiene checklist
Use the checklist below to do a food hygiene inspection of your own business. To achieve a 5 star food hygiene rating you’ll need to make sure you can put a tick next to each of the following:
- Is ready-to-eat food stored/separate from raw food?
- Are high-risk foods date coded?
- Are codes checked daily and stock rotated?
- Are food containers kept off the floor?
- Are foods in freezers covered?
- Are fridges and freezers working and at the correct temperatures?
- Are dried goods stored and covered correctly?
- Do you have separate sinks for dishwashing and handwashing?
- Do you regularly clean equipment?
- Do you have clean and tidy storage areas?
- Do you have a pest control system in place?
- Is equipment easy to clean and kept in a clean condition
- Do you have separate preparation areas for raw and ready to eat foods?
- Do you have colour coded chopping boards?
- Are frozen foods defrosted safely?
- Are separate utensils and equipment used for raw foods?
- Are vegetables/fruit/salads/ trimmed and washed thoroughly before use?
- Do team members wear clean, suitable protective clothing?
- Do workers keep their hair back and/or wear a hair net or hat?
- Do staff regularly wash their hands?
- Do you keep staff sickness records?
Food safety management system
- Do you have a food safety management system?
- Can you provide evidence of all your food safety procedures?
- Has appropriate corrective action been taken where necessary?
Get a hygiene rating of 5 with Trail
Trail is a simple app that makes it easier for food businesses to get a hygiene rating of 5. It replaces your paper checklists with simple digital checks.
- Improve food hygiene: Trail tells you exactly what to do and when to do it. Food hygiene practices are woven into your team’s working day.
- Comply with FSA food hygiene regulations: Trail has all the tasks from your Safer Food Better Business Diary set by the FSA.
- Digitally stored records: Trail keeps a secure digital record of the daily checks. No loose bits of paper and binders.
- Prove to EHOs that you prepare food safely: EHOs can locate everything quickly and easily to help you get that all important 5 and protect the reputation of your business.
- Train staff: Best practice videos and photos can be added to tasks to make sure everyone is clear on safe food handling.
- Keep customers safe: Smart digital checklists automatically tell you what to do and when to do it for total confidence in your food safety management.
We have a whole library full of food safety and hygiene checklists to help you stay on top.